Marijuana and Blood Sugar
Our purpose in this blog is to expand our idea of using Cannabis or Marijuana to effect positive health on other organ systems. Here is an overview of how the endocrine system is integrated with the endocannabinoid system to have positive benefits for those with type I and type II diabetes.
Cannabis therapy with medical Marijuana may have a positive effect in treating (and possibly preventing) diabetes type 1 and type 11. Some of the potential benefits of CBD therapy and diabetes include:
- Stabilization of blood sugars
- Neuroprotective effects that help lessen inflammation of nerves and reduce neuropathy pain
- Antispasmodic effects to relieve GI cramps/pain
- Causes vasodilatation to improve circulation and lower blood pressure
- Anti-inflammatory properties may lessen arterial inflammation common in diabetes
How does this work?
The suggestion is that the endocannabinoids receptors don’t just work in the brain. There are receptors everywhere that scientists look. That includes the pancreas!. The association of marijuana and variation in diabetes markers such as blood sugar should surprise nobody.
Does that mean Cannabis is a therapy for Diabetes?
No! But don’t be surprised if you find that your insulin requirements change. Make adjustments in your insulin as needed.